That green spot below Windy Ridge Parkway? That's the spot.
Announcement from the Braves: http://homeofthebraves.com/overview/
I've lived in this part of town for almost 9 years, and I've been a Braves fan for life, so naturally I have a lot of opinions about this.
- Turner Field was built for the Olympics. It's too big for our current fan base (we almost never sell out games) and according to the website, it needs significant repairs.
- Public transportation to and from Turner Field is impractical and I'm really tired of dodging the tipsy drivers on 75/85 heading home.
- The Ted is in a sketchy neighborhood. My car was broken into a couple of years ago.
- There's nothing to do before or after the games because the area around the Ted can't be built out with restaurants and hangouts (think: Wrigleyville and around Fenway).
- The Cumberland area has plenty of local restaurants and places to hang out before and after games.
- MARTA doesn't currently go to Cobb County, and I doubt the residents will vote 'yes' on allowing the train to come in. The closest bus station is on the Southwest side of Cumberland Mall, definitely too far to walk from the proposed stadium area.
- All the hourly Turner Field employees (ushers, security, food service) who ride MARTA are going to have a hard time getting to work.
- There's a Waffle House across Cobb Pkwy from the proposed site. :)
The website has more details, including a fact sheet with more details.
The only hesitation I have is that traffic is already bad here - worse than it is at the current stadium. Otherwise, yes, move closer to me, Braves! :)